My Advice for the New Year
As the new year has started and individuals go back to school and work I think it’s time for a post like this one. Some of you may feel that the years are flying by too quickly, so here is my advice for the New Year:
1. If you made a New Year resolution and have already broken it, forgive yourself and keep trying. *My advice: if you still can’t lock down the habit then check your reasons why you need this habit are strong enough. Remind yourself of these reasons as often as possible and know it is okay to ask for help.
2. If you are going back to work today or on Monday and are dreading it, sit down and start writing, what about what you doing do you loathe? What do you really love about what you do? What options are there to make you not wake up dreading work? I think there are a lot of people who feel the same as you right now. *My advice: you don’t necessarily have to move jobs but there are ways you can help look forward to life rather than resent each day. Perhaps a hobby you take after work can do the trick or asking your boss for some projects or responsibilities that will drive your passion better.
3. Life is incredibly short and moves much too fast for some. This “highway” we are on does not allow for the slowing of time. This can be really scary and overwhelming. *My advice: tell people you love that you love them, all the time! Also tell them what you appreciate about them. Additionally, there is no time to not be doing what makes you feel fulfilled, so write it down and start figuring out what that could be and start planning how you can make it happen soon and not “one day”.
4. I know, I have been there, in that snappy mood, tired and stressed and irritable and we can say things faster than we know that hurt others. *My advice: just apologize, who needs pride when we don’t have enough time for it. If you can choose to be anything, choose to be kind to each other. Apologize and forgive FAST.
5. You may feel you keep failing or are not good enough. *My advice: your feelings are your feelings, it is okay to have them. However, I do think this quote from Churchill is more than relevant here.. “Success is the ability to move from one failure to another without loss of enthusiasm.” I understand it is easier said than done but we have to smile through the failures so we can keep trying. Just keep trying and again, you are allowed to ask for help.
Wishing you a very happy and successful 2019!